Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Slay to the Music: Brian Culbertson featuring Avant "Skies Wide Open"

As you can tell by now with this weekly series of posts about music, it’s obvious  that I absolutely LOVE music. I’m completely honest when I say that no matter what, whenever I’m working on a makeup project or even just to put on my makeup to go to work or go out, I HAVE to have some sort of music on. It sets a tone & mood for me and helps me “focus”. As a music lover, just as with makeup, there are all kinds of styles to enjoy. Some music genres are more eclectic, some are more hyper, some are nostalgic and some are mellow and smooth. Jazz fits that mellow & smooth vibe for me & this week’s song choice is an R&B-ish, Smooth Jazz song by Smooth Jazz/Contemporary R&B artist Brian Culbertson’s song “Skies Wide Open” featuring vocals by R&B singer Avant.

I had the amazing opportunity to do a phone interview with Avant back in 2003/2004 when he released his album “Private Room”. I had been a fan of his work before that project but that interview took my appreciation of him as an artist and a person to a whole ‘nother level. I also had to pleasure of seeing Brian Culbertson perform live for a Christmas concert in 2007 and became an instant fan of his as well, so when these two collaborated on “Skies Wide Open”, it was love at first listen.
 
This song is that “grown folks” type of music…nice vocal melodies by Avant laid over Brian’s piano playing and the nice mid-tempo infectious beat. Even though the song was released in 2010, it still gets me in a good mood. Check it out & SLAY AWAY!

Brian Culbertson ft. Avant - "Skies Wide Open"

No comments:

Post a Comment